Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Cruise


My brother's Godfather, a man my father went to high school with was diagnosed with leukemia. He was recently told that he had 2 to 4 months to live. His wife decided to get a group of their closest family members and friends and to take a cruise down to Mexico starting today. My parents are on the boat as I'm typing. Although any cruise to Mexico sounds fun, I can't imagine this being a blast. I guess it is what they make it. This will be the last time that my parents will see this man before he passes away. It's fact, he doesn't have very long to live. All of this has made me think of whether or not I would want to know when my life was going to be taken from me. I came to the conclusion that I would only want to know if it were within the last month of my life. Within a month would give me enough time to say goodbye to everyone I needed to say goodbye to and would be enough time so spend with the people I loved. Knowing that I would die any sooner and it would just be a prolonged sadness for me and prolonged grief by everyone around me. I can't image what it is going to be like getting off of the ship and saying goodbye.

No comments: