Monday, April 28, 2008

Heineken: Share The Good!!!!

When I first saw this video, I didn’t think much into it. I thought the visuals were good, the concept was cute, and it wasn’t like every other beer commercial. After reading Bob Garfield’s article in Ad Age, I was a little irritated and mad at him.
Bob Garfield’s article on Adage states this:

This is 2008. We're not in an "It's a Small World After All" era; we're in a "World of Warcraft" era. Pollyanna fantasies don't much scan, especially with the presumed target audience of young men. Not to stereotype or anything, but by and large, men don't drink beer to make the world a better place. They drink beer to cruise women, escape women, wash down nachos and get stinking blotto.

I really couldn’t disagree with him more. I don’t see why he feels the need to by so cynical. In our day and age we are aiming to produce ethical advertising that promotes a better world. I think aiming for “It’s a small World After All” is positive and promotes better life for everyone. Should we instead make a commercial that has men chugging beer and then trying to get into women’s pants because that’s more realistic? I think that this is promoting the good side of beer. That beer can be used as something that brings people together by paying it forward. It’s not promoting over consuming, irresponsible partying, or anything negative. It really is showing the better sides of the product.

No comments: